15 April 2009

What a way to spend Easter!

Hmmm, no posts for a while as there's been quite a lot going on, one way and another. After the supangle, at the start of last week I wrote, and then completely forgot to post, the following.

"I bow to the inevitable consequences of my actions over the last week and find myself back up to 71.5kg again. Picture a hangdog expression.

Yes, I am pretty disappointed with myself for falling off the wagon. To be honest, things really don't seem to be going all that well in 2009. I started the New Year at 75kg and the needle on my scales has wandered up and down ever since. The best result was 69kg and that was such a thrill. Unfortunately a short-lived one and it has been a hard slog even to just keep below 72kg ever since.

To be fair, and not kick myself too hard or for too long, I have been moderately sensible recently. No cream cakes or anything like that, so things could be worse than they are now."

Well, happy to say that things got a bit better... for a while... and the lbs began to drop away. Then, whooooeeee - what a rollercoaster ride Easter has been!

It's now Wednesday and I'm back at work. Mostly OK now (although that's still a bit under review), but it all started last Tuesday with a very slight spotty rash (which disappeared quite fast), a headache & stiff neck and feeling generally grotty. Had a couple of days in bed, then saw the doc on Thursday who said 'it's just a virus - keep taking painkillers'. In retrospect, I wonder if it was more likely connected to what was to follow.

So I did as the doc said and, feeling a good deal better, on Good Friday I drove (a five hour journey) to see my Mum for the Easter weekend, which coincided with her birthday. The only down side was that I went minus lovely hubby, who I left at home in bed as by then he'd come down with a cold/flu bug.

By Saturday, I wasn't feeling quite so great but didn't think too much more about it (just thought it was tiredness/driving). Then drove home a day earlier than planned, in Sunday's heavier than expected traffic, and by now in a bit of pain. So far so good, but it got lots worse overnight and lovely hubby took me to A&E at our local hospital on the bank holiday Monday as I couldn't get to see a GP.

Just as well he did - I had a Bartholin abscess (won't go into graphic details, look it up if you want - but be warned, it's not pleasant!) and was put onto a hefty dose of flucloxacillin antibiotics. The rest of Monday turned into a complete nightmare and the pain was excruciating. This you don't wish on your worst enemy. By now I could barely walk or move. I was NOT a happy bunny and had visions of being bundled off to hospital again.

Then, thankfully, that damned abscess burst on Tuesday morning. Messy and unpleasant that might be but a HUGE relief from the pain. Unfortunately, by then I had developed another (and not attractive) rash and other symptoms - thought it might be an allergic reaction to the antibiotics! Off we go to see the emergency GP after talking to NHS Direct for their advice at some ungodly hour in the morning.

The rash etc. may just be a reaction to the fluclox, but could well be part of the infection - just can't tell. But, and I think it's quite a big but, I've never reacted, even slightly, to penicillin-family antibiotics before. Still, who knows.

Today I'm still covered in a rash (not pretty), and now on antihistamines as well as the fluclox. I may have to switch antibiotics if things don't improve... but, the alternative (erythromycin) isn't as effective as fluclox! Catch 22, eh?

I feel mostly OK, but a bit tender in places, and slightly wobbly. Going to take it easy-ish at work and see how the day goes.

Weight and the eating? No idea. It's been quite some experience over the last week or so and, frankly, I don't really care right now.

Hopefully, from here on the only way is up (and, of course, down).


based on a design by suckmylolly.com